So, why would you get your man a facial cleansing device this holiday? HELLO. IT’S HIS FACE. Introducing the new Clarisonic Alpha Fit sonic cleansing device engineered for men’s tougher skin. Compact and waterproof with two easy settings, it’s the perfect gift for the man who wants a closer shave, cleaner beard and smooth, healthy looking skin.
Sit down one-on-one with W’s Beauty Director Jane Larkworthy for exclusive tips at National Beauty Editors Day, Thursday, August 6 at Saks Fifth Avenue in NYC. For just $40, you’ll receive exclusive beauty tips from Jane, along with a makeover and a free, full-sized gift from the beauty brand of your choice!
All event proceeds will help the Look Good Feel Better program help cancer patients to feel beautiful during treatment.
Visit lookgoodfeelbetter.org/register to schedule a sit down with Jane Larkworthy on National Beauty Editors’ Day.
Forever searching for a lip color that wasn’t too overwhelming for my light hair and fair skin, I was delighted to find this completely affordable and accessible product. Maybelline Baby Lips, which comes in several different tones from nude to cherry, not only provides a long-lasting color, but also serves as a lip balm and leaves your pout soft and moisturized! Pink Punch is my personal favorite- the visible yet light rosy shade is perfect for a day at the office to a night on the town. No need to search far for this steal- pick your stick up at the local CVS.
The creative vanguard passionately fuses music, fashion and art in NYC.
W and Chanel hosted an intimate luncheon in New York City to celebrate SUBLIMAGE—the ultimate anti-aging skincare collection. Hosted by Tiffany Moller in support of the Boys’ Club of New York, guests enjoyed a three-course lunch at La Grenouille restaurant while engaging in a skincare discussion between notable consulting-dermatologist Dr. Amy Wechsler and W Beauty Editor Katie Becker.
Presenting Olay Regenerist Luminous, a new collection that reenergizes skin’s appearance to restore its natural luminosity for bright, pearlescent skin that glows. Formulated with a skin energizing complex, Olay Regenerist Luminous increases surface skin renewal to fight the appearance of dark spots and deliver bright, luminous, healthy looking skin in just 2 weeks.
*tone perfecting cream and dark circle correcting hydraswirl
We are hitting the streets during New York Fashion Week to find what’s next in the world of personal style. Follow along at wmagfinds.tumblr.com
Sit down one-on-one with W Beauty Director Jane Larkworthy for exclusive tips at National Beauty Editors Day, August 7, from noon to 7PM at the Guerlain counter at Saks Fifth Avenue in NYC.
This event marks the 25th anniversary of the Look Good Feel Better program, which helps women with cancer to cope with the appearance side effects of their treatment.
Appointments cost $30 and include a makeup application and free, full-size gift from Guerlain. All proceeds—and 10% of Saks’ beauty sales that day—will be donated to Look Good Feel Better.
I treat myself to a Starbucks Venti caramel iced coffee every morning. It’s gotten to the point that the entire staff at “my” Starbucks knows both my name and order and, more often than not, has it ready by the time I scan my iPhone to pay. Incredible custom service if you ask me!
Whether it’s snowing, raining or hot as hell, a Venti caramel iced coffee is my drink of choice (it’s partly a teeth thing… but that’s a blog post for another day!). It’s not the most exciting drink choice, but it’s refreshing and, well, I like it.
But what does everyone else like? I did a quick search on Google to find out some of the most popular Starbucks drink orders and their calorie count*. By doing so, I found that my Venti caramel iced coffee comes in at 120 calories. Not bad, but not great.
STARBUCKS DRINK ORDERS AND THEIR CALORIES:
- Brewed coffee (5 calories; Bold)
- Caffe Latte (240 calories)
- Vanilla Latte (320 calories)
- Caffe Mocha (340 calories)
- White Mocha (510 calories)
- Caramel Machiatto (300 calories)
- Caramel Frappuccino (360 calories; no whipped cream)
- Mocha Frappuccino (370 calories; no whipped cream)
You can find the calories in your preferred morning (or afternoon!) indulgence on Starbucks’ nutrition section of their website: http://www.starbucks.com/menu/nutrition
My morning Starbucks may be an expensive addiction, but it’s definitely not the worst type of addiction to have.
*All calories listed above represent Venti orders with 2% milk.
From discovering a low calorie recipe blog in “Skinny Tasting… Literally!” to re-living my first workout with my trainer in “An Hour with Joel,” those of you who have been keeping up with my blog posts know that I’m all about eating right, exercising regularly and, well, just staying thin. It may come as a surprise to hear that I recently committed to eating one piece of dark chocolate every day for two weeks to see what all this ‘healthy dark chocolate’ talk is all about.
Before beginning this fun, tasty experiment, I did some quick research online to see what the potential health benefits are from dark chocolate. In short, all my research pointed to one thing… dark chocolate in small doses is good for you! Here are my top 5 researched and non-researched benefits from eating dark chocolate:
- Helps reduce cholesterol levels
- It’s social – everyone wants a piece of chocolate!
- Lowers blood pressure
- Increases “pleasure” and improves overall mood
- It tastes good! Duh.
I cannot medically speak to my cholesterol levels or blood pressure, but I can confidently say that I experienced a nice boost of energy and improved mood after indulging in a piece (one square) of Lindt Roasted Almond Dark Chocolate or Lindt Intense Mint Dark Chocolate each afternoon. (By “indulge,” I mean I ate the entire piece of dark chocolate in one bite as if I had never had chocolate before.) I also shared the chocolate with my colleagues each day, which became a great social moment of the day bringing everyone smiles and laughs. That in itself is a healthy addition to any day!
While I thoroughly enjoyed this little experiment, I’m not sure a piece of chocolate (or any form of sugar!) is an ideal addition, no matter how small, to any pre-summer diet with nearly 50 calories in each square. In the end… I think I’ll stick to Trident White Sugarfree gum with only 4 calories in each piece until at least September.
Fun Fact about Chocolate: the Latin name for the cacao tree (where chocolate is derived from), Theobroma cacao, actually means “food of the gods.” Who would have thought?
I am the first to admit that I alter nearly 98% of my photos with an added filter or tilt-shift blur to give them a sharp, professional look. Altering photos has become an addiction I can’t seem to rid myself of and I’m okay with that. The above photo shows both a before and after filter shot to further prove my point like a “Celebs Without Makeup” feature in InTouch or Life & Style.
I think we all (or at least I do!) owe popular apps Instagram and Camera+ a big thank you for making us look more fabulous than we really are in our photos. I’ll start…
- Thank you, for giving the illusion I’m tan even when I’m not.
- Thank you, for allowing me to be creative with my hashtag use. #thanks
- Thank you, for making me feel almost famous when random people like my photos.
With that out of the way, I owe an even bigger thank you to the beauty products I use on a daily basis. While the apps help me look good in the social spaces of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, it’s ultimately the beauty products I use at home that help me maintain my acne-free face, soft skin and white teeth in real life.
Here’s a quick overview of five beauty products I live for and use every day:
- Clarisonic Mia Sonic Cleansing System: I use my Clarisonic every morning with Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control Power-Clear Scub. It’s part of my shower routine. Since I started using it more than a year ago, my skin looks and feels smoother than it ever has and remains acne-free. Treat your pores to a sonic cleansing by purchasing yourself a Clarisonic device from Sephora or major department store for $119 to $225. Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control Power-Clear Scub is available at most drugstores nationwide for approximately $10.
- Neutrogena Light Sesame Formula Body Oil: I had the hardest time controlling my eczema (dry skin) until I started applying Neutrogena Light Sesame Formula Body Oil and Cetaphil DailyAdvance Ultra Hydrating Lotion after each shower. It instantly absorbs into my skin and seals in the moisture. My skin feels soft and silky and, here’s the bonus, smells great. Neutrogena Light Sesame Formula Body Oil and Cetaphil DailyAdvance Ultra Hydrating Lotion are available at most drugstores nationwide for approximately $15 each.
- Clinique Anti-Fatigue Cooling Eye Gel: I used to be skeptical about eye creams and gels until I started using Clinique’s Anti-Fatigue Cooling Eye Gel. I’m not exactly sure how it works, but it does and that’s all that matters to me. It instantly cools, refreshes and brightens my tired-looking eyes after a fun (or rough!) night and is super easy to apply with its rollerball design. Get rid of your puffy eyes and dark circles with Clinique’s Anti-Fatigue Cooling Eye Gel, available at Neiman Marcus or major department stores nationwide for approximately $30.
- Crest 3D White Vivid Toothpaste: I have been using Crest products ever since I got my braces off in eighth grade. I truly believe that Crest helps achieve healthy, beautiful smiles and my dentist agrees with each cleaning. There is nothing crazy to report here–simply brush my teeth twice a day and use Crest 3D White Whitestrips Advanced Vivid on a needed basis. Crest 3D White products are available at most drugstores nationwide for $8 and $35, respectively.
- Tweezerman Slant Tweezer: Nobody wants a unibrow… Enough said.Tweezerman Slant Tweezers are available at Target locations and most drugstores nationwide for $20.
I have to ask, though… What are your favorite beauty products? Have you discovered something new I should know about? Are you a brand and product loyalist like I am? Tweet me @justinbreton and tell me your beauty routine and secrets. I’ll update my post with your responses below.